iOS 10’s features and improvements just keep piling up. When you become aware of how to maximize the OS’ potential, you’ll get so much more from your iPhone.
In this article, you will learn how to:
- Activate Raise to Wake, a new feature that wakes your phone up without pressing a button
- Remove useless and unused apps
- Clear notifications quickly and easily
- Access camera in 2 easy steps
- Have fun with the messaging app and sending even more exciting messages
- Take advantage of voicemail transcription
But first, a look back…
iOS 10 was announced last 13 June 2016 at the WWDC 2016 in San Francisco. Following this announcement, a series of beta versions was rolled out. Three months after, the official public version was released. iOS 10 was offered to iPhone 5 and later, the iPad Air and iPad Pro, the iPad 4, and the iPad mini 2 and later models.
Top 6 Nifty Features in iOS 10
1. Raise to Wake
With this new feature, no need to press anything to do a quick time check or see if there are notifications you missed. Raise to Wake does exactly as the name suggests, without the need to press a button. This comes quite handy when you’ve got your hands full.
To activate it, go to Settings > Display and Brightness > Raise to Wake and voila! You just need to lift your iOS 10 device to bring it back from sleep. This makes upgrading to iOS 10 really worth it.
Take note, however, that this will only work with phones that have the coprocessor to make the feature happen. These are the iPhone 6s, SE, or 7.
2. Remove useless and unused apps
Yes, even apps that come pre-loaded on your iOS device can be deleted, allowing you to free up space that you can use for something more useful. Simply hold on the app icon or folder until the X on the upper left corner and then tap on it.
Should you wish to re-install those apps, just download and re-install via the App Store.
Just remember that some apps may be linked with other apps causing them to malfunction. CarPlay, for example, may not work with the Music app if you delete iBooks.
3. Quick, easy clearance notification
Don’t you just hate it when you have to clear notifications per app? With the Clear All Notifications feature, you can do this all at once. This doesn’t work best for all iOS devices, only with iPhone 6s or higher with 3D Touch. To remove all notifications, just tap and hold on the X at the top and then choose Clear All Notifications.
iPhones without 3D Touch can still enjoy this feature, but items have to be deleted day by day.
4. Quick camera access
In iOS 10, you can access the camera from the lock screen by simply swiping left. And when Raise to Wake is enabled, you can take the same two-step access without the need to press the power or Home button to wake up your device.
5. Improved and impressive messaging
In iOS 10 sending messages is anything but boring. It’s not only fun and colorful, but offers ways to better convey your message.
- If a text or word has an equivalent emoji, you have the option to swap the text to emoji. Watch out for when the text glows orangey red. That’s your cue.
- Send a message with balloons, fireworks, confetti and other effects. Simply hold the send button to access the Effects menu.
- Send handwritten messages when you turn your iOS device 90 degrees to landscape view. The feature is automatic, but you can also hit the curly-cue key on your keyboard.
- Scribble your message on the Messages app using Digital Touch. You can also add instant animations.
- Send images and videos that are instantly viewable on iMessage the moment the recipient gets them.
- Send a quick reply on iMessage by simply double tapping on an incoming message. This will pull up a quick-reply pop-up similar to Facebook’s like/reaction icons of thumbs up, heart, etc.
6. Voicemail transcription
Don’t want to listen to voicemails? Just click on the number and the transcription would just show up. If it’s a call from annoying telemarketers, you can simply delete it right away. This feature would come handy if you want to write down a voicemail. You have the option to share, forward, or create an event on the calendar based on the time or date indicated in the transcript.
But wait…there’s more.
If you upgrade to the latest operating system, you will definitely find out more about iOS 10’s many amazing features.